Health

Ado-Ekiti poly loses two workers to electrocution

Share

Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti was thrown into mourning state on Tuesday as two workers of the poly were electrocuted while working on defective borehole on campus.

Eyewitnesses narrated that the victims were staff of the Department of Works and were said to have died while carrying out official duties.

One of the victims, whose identities is yet to be known, was a native of Ado Ekiti while the other victim hailed from Kogi State.

The source narrated in details that the victims who were working on the borehole had made attempts to remove the galvanised pipe for repair when they made the mistake and died on the spot.

From further narrations, it was gathered that they were removing the pipe, they didn’t know that it has gone up to the extent that it could touch a high tension wire around the area.

“Immediately the pipe touched the high tension wire, there was a huge spark that caused electrocution of the two men.

Their bodies were charred by the effect of the electrocution while other support workers were flung to far distance but they neither died nor sustained serious bodily injuries, an eyewitness narrated.

The institution’s Public Relations Officer, Mr Adeyemi Adejolu, upon being contacted confirmed the incident, saying the staff died while performing their official duties.

It was true that they got electrocuted while performing their duties. It was a sad and regrettable incident that the Polytechnic will regret long, he explained.

Mr Adejolu added that the victim from Kogi had since been taken to his town for immediate burial while the family of the other deceased has been contacted.

Reported by: Fatimah Oyesanmi

Total Page Visits: 699 - Today Page Visits: 1

Comment here